I'm just a small town white boy, just trying to make ends meet.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ghosts of War!
As some of you may know, I have a new band and, a new tour supporting Combichrist! For a number of reasons, time has slipped by quickly and suddenly I find myself in need of new photos to promote the tour FAST!
I’ve been lucky to work with some awesome photographers, Jeff Cohen, and Steve Prue, both of whom I have known before the invention of disposable cameras (Sad but true..) Anyfuck, one photographer whom I work with is Candace(y) aka, Candylust. We have also know each other for a long time but one night I saw a amazing 'urban decay' type photo and saw the credit given to my Candace(y)! I was thrilled! I had one of those, ‘I know her!’ moments.
So I contacted Candace and we began a search for a decrepit mental institution, run down hospital, gynecological speculum factory..you get the idea..some place cold and scary.
Candace suggested an abandoned airfield at the far end of Brooklyn. But there was a catch. To go to these type of places you really need to go during the week day and earlier the better as these places are private and patrolled by the police and park rangers (ohhhh…scary park rangers..) and it’s totally illegal to be there. It’s not easy to duck and hide with camera equipment, flashes, and 4 gangly guys in eyeliner who are normally asleep at this hour, so the less hassle the better. All joking aside, you could get arrested for trespassing on Government property.
The plan was for the 4 band members to meet up at the very end of the subway line where Candace would be waiting in a unassuming car to drop us close to the site.
As I came up out of the subway I saw a Popeyes Chicken, Pawn shop, Wholesale Mattress shops and well..more pawn shops. Yea, the classic GnR line applies here. ‘You know where you are? Your in the Jungle baby!’ Yet, me being Acey Slade I found what? Starbucks! No shit! In the middle of the ghetto I find the mermaid of the caffeine sea! So Andee and I leg it over, meet up with Chris and Per-C when we see a place that needs do description. Meat Town. Yep. Meat Town. What the Fuck!?!?
From the outside the Airline hangers looked pretty cool. But what we REALY wanted was some destruction. Not the kind that was near the Pawn Shops and Meat Town. The kind that was inside the locked up Hangers!
I found an opening that was un-secured and peered in. It was a gloriously destroyed airplane hanger. The huge glass paned ceilings had fallen in and rusted beams were everywhere with snow on the ground and piles of rust and destroyed…well..stuff!
Fact is we could be arrested just for being on the grounds, so fuck it, why not go all the way, right? We were already fucked if the cops came.
After looking around a bit we find our way in and Candace started snapping away with the camera. The more time that passed without being detected by Rangers or Cops the braver our exploration became. We kept going deeper and deeper into the recesses of the hangers until we turned a corner and saw something that made us all stop in our tracks.
We found a particularly destroyed section of the compound and I was about to hop over what was left of a half standing wall when Chris thrust his arm out stopped me. ‘Dude, stop!’
By this time the others had caught up with me but nobody spoke or made a sound as we stared in disbelief, frozen in our tracks at the horror before us.
There lying on the floor, decaying down to it’s bones was…
..a dead…
…Squirrel!
We took it as a sign that we were not supposed to go there. Our luck had been good so far. Why push it by crossing the path of a dead…. squirrel. Maybe it was a parachuting transvestite squirrel Eddie Izzard talks about. Hummm a hate crime?
It was fuckn’ insane. You really DID have to be careful as there were huge chunks of ceiling just dangling and pieces of floor completely missing. With one wrong step you could either fall to your death or have a ton of concrete fall on your head. But, no guts no glory.
As we wrapped up our shoot and made our way to the car, we saw some other photographers heading our way, only to get cut off by ‘the man!’ Hey better them than us. SUCKERS!
While this was not the most exciting story. I DID get ya with the squirrel, right (you thought it was going to be some Rivers Edge shit didn’t you!)? The band and Candace (and Chris!) had a lot of fun just exploring and the pictures are great. My imagination was running away with me thinking would find a WW II prisoner that had never been let go and still thought the war was on! Or a nuclear warhead…I didn’t even find an arrowhead. But I did find Meat Town! That’s pretty cool. See ya on tour and NOT at Meat Town..I hope.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like one kick ass adventure .
    glad ya didnt follow the squirrels path lol
    meat town looks like somewhere a serial killer butcher lives
    hope the tour goes well for you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really had me there with the dead squirrel. lol
    sounds like fun and glad you didnt get caught by the cops :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. be careful beauty...don't get caught by dead squirrels! lol
    good luck on the tour man ^^ send my greetings to combichrist from an argentinian fan, they're awesome guys!
    and now I'm excited about that vampire movie you talked about on facebook, i just have to wait till it get here...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, no photo of the ex-squirrel? I'm disappointed. :P

    I'm seriously begining to wonder if you find Starbucks or it finds you!. That's going to be their new motto soon 'Starbucks - built it and Acey will come!' LOL

    If you're looking for a photographer in California, you might like what Lloyd Rosen does. Yeah, I might be biased because he's a friend but I think he really is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You, Sir Slade, are definitely lucky to not have been caught. lol.

    I recently, as in last thursday (02/05/09), participated in the great fun in trespassing. The paranormal group I belong to, took a trip to this place in Casa Grande, Arizona called "The Domes" to ghost hunt. Unlike yourself and fellow companions, we -WERE- caught trespassing.

    3-4 hours into the investigation, our lead investigator, myself and another Fr. investigator were coming out of Dome #2(there are 4 all together) to take a break from being all closed in and to get some air. As soon as we walked out and looked about 100feet away towards the dirt road, we see a car go by. The other two saw the unlit lights, i just barely saw the word 'Sheriff' and knew we were screwed. The other two took off into the dome again and I took off to find the other half of our group. After calling out our code word "Banana"(the response was "Split) and not hearing anything back, I back tracked and went to my group again and said "look...they're running the car's plates and stuff, i've seen enough cops, if we come out, be straight up and honest with them, they tend to be a little more easier on the people.

    In the end, we made good friends with the loyal local, red and blues of Pinal County Sheriff's Office and they let us go. They also took down our contact information because, ironically, they're very good friends with the owner of the property and the owner expressed that he'd let people investigate as long as they contacted him and asked his permission. So they're going to pass along our information and hopefully we'll hear something back...

    Crazy times though...here's a link to some pics and info on the place we went to, in case you're curious...
    http://leeanndunton.livejournal.com/561901.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your mention of Eddie Izzard. "Qua' he seemed to say." :p For some reason, all the abandoned buildings in AZ get torn down before anyone knows they're vacant. Pretty rare to get that kind of creepy lucky.

    ReplyDelete